Role and Responsibilities:
The Surgical Clinical Reviewer’s chief responsibility is to collect and submit reliable data to the ACS NSQIP and MBSAQIP. This is accomplished through high-quality data compilation, documentation and entry into the ACS NSQIP and MBSAQIP database of all eligible surgeries for the hospital. The SCR/MBSCR works closely with the members of the Department of Surgery to identify opportunities for clinical quality improvement and other special projects as may be identified.
Qualification and Education Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Successfully completed the ACS NSQIP/MBSAQIP certification exam and/or maintained currency of SCR/MBSCR credential having successfully completed re-certification within the past year.
• RHIA, RHIT, LPN/LVN, RN, or BSN preferred.
• Minimum one(1) year experience in hospital surgery department, surgery clinic, clinical research or medical records. Clinical chart review and abstraction experience required.
• Recent experience (in the last year) as an SCR/MBSCR for ACS NSQIP/MBSAQIP Data abstraction/collection.
• Ability to build relationships and gain alignment for clinical support and be able to articulate questions to receive an appropriate level of support from superiors and peers.
• Ability to interact with all members of the surgical team and administrative staff in a professional and courteous manner.
• Computer and Internet experience required – familiarity and comfort with MS Office products is essential for success in this position (Word and Excel- required; PowerPoint and Access- preferred).
• Database data entry and/or management experience preferred.
• Basic statistical knowledge preferred.
• Quality improvement or patient safety knowledge and experience preferred.